Dogging my way through....

I like winging it... A "Type A" personality I am not. I do love to race it up however, and for the last few years I have embraced the lifestyle of an endurance athlete- endless training, lack of a social life, and always, always, always having sore legs...

I dabbled in triathlon back in the day (mid 90's), but it came easy back then, being 16, unbreakable, and a zippy fast xcountry runner. 13 years of smokey bars and rocknroll debauchery had me questioning a return and I am surprised as anyone to find myself in better shape than I ever been, going farther than I ever have, and still being able to sling a guitar and belt out a tune or two...

The musician in me hides when the racing flats come on and the runner in me cringes when I down a shot (or three) of the whiskey... So this will be my attempt to keep a foot in each of the world's that move me to act... writing a song... running 20 miles... there really is no difference. It is what it is!!

Monday, January 10, 2011

When Colorado calls... I answer... 2010 all sewn up.

So I would have gotten to my 2010 wrap up a little sooner but skiing in Colorado came first… and  going from one snowy wonderland into another, (I love Denton snows) here’s a bit of a summation for the past year. And what an excellent one it was.

2010 was a year of travelling a ton, getting to race, run, and lounge in some very beautiful places: New Mexico, Kansas, California, Washington, Alaska, Canada, Maine, Missouri, South Carolina, Massachusetts, and of course, good ol' Texas. Driving through the night, counting down the miles, and eating delicious "road" foods (airplane flights still a luxury to be savored...) brought back many memories of previous rocknroll tours. Fellow racers replacing band mates, amps and guitars giving way to bikes and transition bags. Bikes usually end up being more annoying to pack. Amps kinda stack up nicely and if you’re good at Tetris... piece of cake.

Some yearly highlights: Taos, New Mexico, Switching jobs… being back in a bike shop has been excellent, Overall win at the Nationals Collegiate Sprint triathlon, going sub 4:30 in a half- iron, Alaska, Alaska, Alaska, a very random Y equals reunion show, qualifying for the Boston marathon, and knocking out my first 50 mile run. Getting through my final math class was pretty sweet too. A totally different type of victory altogether.

This year I also attempted to log as much of my training as I could and I was relatively successful. I figured since I train with no plan, the least I could do is monitor and review what I actually do. Logging workouts helped get me out when I really didn't want to. Too many blank spaces on a calendar became a finger pointing and shaming me silently. Another great motivation to log was to have a cumulative yearly workout total. I also believe every step counts, one no less important than the next, so I'll break it down as such.

Swimming Total: 62hrs 41m; 181032 meters; 3620 laps/ 137,584 strokes; Clearly, swimming is my least favorite, and I commit wholeheartedly to doing even less in 2011. Less is more… So waaaayy less is waaaayy more!!

Biking Total: 161hrs 7m; 2510 miles/ 1,624,056 revolutions; The wheels on the bike go round and round!! My new mountain bike Zippy will hopefully bring some much needed excitement to my riding. Loving those trails!

Running Total: 100hrs 37m; 738.5 miles/ 1,086,660 steps; I'm hoping to seriously increase this one for 2011... why not... I'm already used to tire, beat up feet.

Some things to look forward to in 2011: I'll be looking to race locally a ton more, saving the outta town trips for the few ultra runs I'll be picking out. I really like flying to races, staying at friends, with only my backpack and shoes in tow. I will also get back on top of my skiing... It was definitely given the cold shoulder (haha) in 2010, but after a nice trip to Colorado, skiing has schussed its way back into my heart . So, I'll be racing hard in 2011 but mixing it up a bunch more than last year and having some fun. Gotta make this a lifestyle not a life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment