Dogging my way through....

I like winging it... A "Type A" personality I am not. I do love to race it up however, and for the last few years I have embraced the lifestyle of an endurance athlete- endless training, lack of a social life, and always, always, always having sore legs...

I dabbled in triathlon back in the day (mid 90's), but it came easy back then, being 16, unbreakable, and a zippy fast xcountry runner. 13 years of smokey bars and rocknroll debauchery had me questioning a return and I am surprised as anyone to find myself in better shape than I ever been, going farther than I ever have, and still being able to sling a guitar and belt out a tune or two...

The musician in me hides when the racing flats come on and the runner in me cringes when I down a shot (or three) of the whiskey... So this will be my attempt to keep a foot in each of the world's that move me to act... writing a song... running 20 miles... there really is no difference. It is what it is!!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Still waiting for that Texas heat...

So this past weekend I knocked out the first semi- long race of the season. A triathlon taking a bit over three hours. I found myself dipping a toe in chilly waters much too early and wishing the day was hotter. Much hotter. It was much too comfortable of a day. Not enough suffering... No excuses not to be faaassstttt!! For some reason... I really enjoy the intense, blistering heat that only Texas can muster up. There's something about burning up from the inside out I look forward to. Doing everything possible to cool oneself and failing miserably. Running at 3pm with absolutely no possibility or thoughts of maintaining some “speed” or “pace” When temps hit 100, I’m just thankful to be moving forward at all. Coming in from tonight’s run, wearing a long sleeve to ward off a rainy chill… I’m seriously missing those days, but the pup is shedding profusely so it won’t be long now. August plodding will soon be upon us.

2 comments:

  1. *A good luck to all those doin Ironman Texas tomorrow… may it be just how you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geezz man. I couldn't agree more. I'm SO ready for some 100s.

    ReplyDelete